View Single Post
Old 10-09-2009, 08:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
I've been listening to Time again today (damn this thread I've listened to Time five times in three days now (as well as working through all of my Heart albums on the way to and from work), and really really starting to like the album (not that I ever disliked it).

I've come to the following conclusions:

1. As mentioned in my previous post, Dreamin' The Dream is one of the most beautiful FM songs since 1975 if not never
2. Christine's songs are really good on here (except for All Over Again ), they aren't the usual saccharine commercial pop crap that Christine produced post '75. (sorry Christine fans).
3. I Wonder Why is probably the best Dave Mason song he had done up until that point (and gave us a hint of the great stuff to come years later on 26 Letters, 12 Notes)
4. ChiliD is absolutely correct about the guitar solo at the end of I Wonder Why. As much as I love Bekka she spoils the end of the song.
5. Billy Burnette is sadly under-represented on this album
6. The best thing about being a Fleetwood Mac fan is the ever evolving, ever changing band, 42 years, 16 members, all contributing to the single most amazing band of all time, a rich tapestry of music.
7. Lets hope the current lineup isn't the last. What new and exciting talent and music can Mr Fleetwood and Mr McVie offer us in the future?

Those are all fascinating and helpful responses. I would especially like to touch on the Christine comment. While I don't consider her post-75 songs to be "saccharine commercial pop crap" (), I know what you mean. The Rumours+ songs are different than her pre-Rumours songs. And I agree that her songs here seem to be a return to her pre-Rumours approach in terms of subject matter, tone, "narrative" approach. So that's interesting to think about. How, exactly, did Christine's music change and why. . . (thoughts for another time)

As for whether this is the last Mac line-up. I, perhaps controversially, agree that it is a shame that currently the whole thing revolves around Stevie and Lindsey's willingness to participate. I would really be interested if during one of these interviews, John and Mick were confronted with this fact: why is that? Don't get me wrong. If Stevie and Lindsey said to Mick and John: "We want to record an album every year for the rest of our lives with you guys" then that would, for me, be the best possible scenario for the band. But since they don't seem to be willing to, I wonder if John and/or Mick also don't want to record new material with any regularity under the Mac name (Mick seems to keep himself busy during the off years/decades ). I wish they could say to Lindsey/Stevie: "Feel free to come knockin' any time you want and we'll include you in the fold; in the meantime, we'll be recording and performing gigs with Chris Isaak, Iris Dement, An Pierle, and Koen Gisen."

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.