Thread: Nicks McNuggets
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2017, 08:10 AM

Apertures & alcohol: the evolving art of music photography according to Rankin and friends
WeTransfer Studios and Rankin have teamed up to launch The Backstage Sessions, a series of films exploring the stories behind the most iconic rock ‘n’ roll photos of the 21st century and their creators. The Drum spoke to Rankin and his subjects – David Montgomery, Gered Mankowitz and Kevin Cummins – to find out how they view their industry now that it is shot primarily through a digital lens.

Montgomery, a true Brooklynite who once shot Hendrix against a backdrop of fire, admits he was, and still is, whimsically relaxed on a shoot. “I never know what I’m going to do, even if I do know what I want to do,” he drawls. “Until you look in the camera… it’s kind of magic really.
I once flew to California to photograph Fleetwood Mac, probably 30 years ago, and I walked in the room and saw Stevie Nicks and I fell madly in love with her on the spot. I couldn’t think straight. I took possibly one of the worst pictures of my entire life.

(for those who are curious, this is the picture in question: )

http://www.thedrum.com/news/2017/09/...in-and-friends