View Single Post
Old 02-18-2019, 09:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiannondontgo View Post
You could replace everyone else in the band with cardboard cut-outs and Stevie people would still go. As long as Stevie is in this band, her fans will be there. I once heard that comedian Kathleen Madigan say “Stevie Nicks could eat a baby and I would still be a diehard Stevie Nicks fan.” And that sums it up better than I could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiannondontgo View Post
We just had to continue dancing and flirting and being obnoxious with Lindsey if we wanted our permanent front-row upgrades. We were definitely much more worried about angering her than he was. There were times that Lindsey would sit at the edge of the stage trying to start conversations with us during a particularly long SN Intro (usually the intro to Gypsy) and we’d be honestly afraid to reply because we didn’t want to piss her off. It was a weird situation. We basically had to piss off our own hero every night in order to get closer to her. It was all just bizarre.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
I got up to the front that way as well, but I kind of invited myself and luckily wasn't told I was too old and ugly since I was in my 30s, lol. Maybe they really were just looking for energetic people!

I didn't like that Lindsey chatted during Stevie's intros, but it wasn't all him. There were girls desperately trying to get his attention, trying to hold conversations with him even when he was several feet away from them and looking in another direction - I remember one in front of me at a concert who was holding up her phone trying to show him her number on it. She kept hollering his name in the breaks between songs and when Stevie was talking, trying to get him to look at her.

I frankly thought it was rude, and I did not try to talk to him during quiet moments or Stevie's intros. I can understand talking to him if he is directly addressing you - who wouldn't do that?! If he is looking right at you, OK. Otherwise, though.... but I guess that's just me.
so interesting to see these interpretations of the experience juxtaposed - one from a fan who is self-admittedly cult Nicks (see her quote at the top of this post) vs Nancy and the girls in the podcast who sound like all around FM fans.

poor Nicks fan just "had to" be energetic, dance, sing and enjoy their favorite band's show. it's a hardship! while FM (and LB) fans enjoyed the experience because dancing and singing and interacting with the band just may have been what they came for - considering it's a rock concert! as these girls in podcast said, it was about having energy upfront, vs people getting wasted or falling asleep in front of the stage. (yes, it was sloppily executed, and i still read tons of people complaining about it, but many huge fans got to get to the stage this way on OWTS tour.)

if you knew what you were doing and you managed to get upfront, it was easy to move to Nicks side if that's where you wanted to be. and if you somehow got stuck on Nicks side, you could always move to Lindsey's side where all the fun and action was, if that's what you were into.

tons of fans got their albums signed and got to chat with LB, and he made it the experience of their lives, at least judging by all excited social media posts from these shows. if you wanted to listen to Stevie's long stories instead you could always do that. nobody was "making you" annoy her.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"