View Single Post
Old 11-24-2014, 01:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascade13 View Post
(I'm going back a little bit in the thread, I know, but hadn't read it until now.)

A few reasons, I'm guessing. If Billy had been comfortable as a lead guitarist, I assume they would have hired him in that capacity in the first place, not both him and Rick...so they still needed a separate lead guitarist alongside him. As to why they kept Dave instead of trying to coax Rick back, etc. ... Mick and Dave were tight, and Mick sold him on being a member of the band, so he probably didn't want to back away from his decision. And it probably didn't hurt Dave's cause that he was the most widely known singer/songwriter in the band, aside from Christine.

All that said, obviously it wasn't the *right* choice. I never saw the chemistry and camaraderie with Billy and Dave that I saw with Billy and Rick. (Maybe it's because they were both the "new guys" at the same time...) Dave and Billy seemed to co-exist more than collaborate, on stage and in studio. I'm not surprised Mick hit "detonate" on that lineup as soon as it was clear Time was going nowhere...
Actually, I believe it was the other way 'round. Dave was staying in Mick's guest house in Malibu (or Pacific Palisades, wherever his house called "The Blue Whale" was)...while Mick was going through the motions trying to find a replacement for Rick, Dave just kept bugging Mick to just let him join the band & the search would be over. Mick kept putting him off for quite some time (according to some interview with Mick I read), but then finally relented. I think all the family tree stuff with Bekka's parents & Dave being in their band; and, Billy working with Delaney on an album or two, looked good on paper, but the reality didn't work as well as it probably should've, due to personalities that SEEMED like they'd mesh, when actually they didn't. (like what John said in his post right above me...note to self: read the ENTIRE previous post before hitting "reply")

Last edited by chiliD; 11-24-2014 at 01:53 PM..