View Single Post
Old 04-19-2002, 08:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: "Rhiannon" live these days

Quote:
Originally posted by The Tower
....Whaddaya all think??? With such a huge catalog of songs, don't you think she'd rather do something that she has energy for rather than not doing "Rhiannon" well???
I agree that it's annoying to hear words which used to stretch out forever being cut short and taken down an octave, but the thing is, nowadays when Stevie sings Rhiannon (etc), it's almost like a matured, serene version in tribute to the "screaming" versions of '75 & '77. So sure, it doesn't rock like it used to, but it's still Stevie's song (i.e. it's not like Puff Daddy trying to sing Pavarotti...where you'd think...dude..if you're gonna cover...cover someone else!), and I guarantee you she'll sing it in every (main/setlist) live performance she does until she retires, because it HAS to be done...an FM concert without Rhiannon would be like missing out The Chain or I'm So Afraid. It just ain't gonna happen...ever! So they give their best performances of these songs that they possibly can given their age and inevitably decreased vocal abilities.

I must say the most vocally annoying performance for me on The Dance was "Go Your Own Way". I love this song to a degree which words cannot even begin to express, and I was soooo annoyed by the fact that they sang the chorus the way they did...i.e. going down the octave. I don't know why they did it i.e. whether it was because Stevie couldn't get that high anymore or Lindsey couldn't...but he seemed to be more than able to sing it the way it's meant to be sung during his OOTC tour (ok, it was 4 years before), and some of the performances of Big Love from the Dance Tour are vocally absolutely incredible, so if he could manage that he should have easily been able to hit the notes for Go Your Own Way...so I reckon it was because maybe Stevie wasn't ok with it...I don't know/don't care why they didn't...but I just got really annoyed that they did it the way they did it.

I think the way Lindsey sings "if I could, baby I'd give you my world.......open up, everything's waiting for you" at the end of the second verse of Go Your Own Way on Mirage Tour video from '82 is my personal favourite Fleetwood Mac "moment" of all time. He sounds like he's literally crying out his heart.....it's such an incredible performance.

Last edited by seteca; 04-19-2002 at 09:00 PM..