Thread: Opening Acts
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2006, 04:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
The only opening acts I ever liked for Fleetwood were Squeeze, as you say, & T-Bone Burnette back in San Antonio (who was like Lindsey Buckingham that year). Squeeze was just a great pop-rock band, the kind of quality in pop-rock that Fleetwood Mac also aspired to & generally reached in those days. Both bands were critics' pets in their heyday. In fact, Squeeze was a hell of a lot more interesting as a pop band by 1990 than Fleetwood Mac was. There was more rich idiosyncrasy in Squeeze's 40-minute set than in the whole two-hour Fleetwood Mac set, which lumbered along like an elephant crossing the Pyrenees. Slow & steady did not win the race that night.

There were some opening acts that I *would* have liked had I seen a concert with them -- like Bob Welch -- but Bob didn't open for Fleetwood in California. The 1978 summer tour he opened for the band didn't ever hit CA, oddly & unfortunately, but he opened for them in Dallas & Philadelphia & Cleveland & Buffalo & several other big stadiums.

In Stevie's case, I really liked John Stewart (who cracked on opening night I believe about Stevie & her broomstick), but that's about all. The others I didn't really care about: Joe Walsh, Peter Frampton, Hooters, the Bon Jovi ripoff in 1991, Darden Smith, etc. Although now that I think about it, I loved hearing a slowed down, sexy "Lowdown" by Boz Scaggs in 1998.

There was another act instead of Frampton who opened for some of the Rock a Little shows back east, but I can't remember who it was. I don't remember its being anyone special at all.
I was a too young to see John Stewart for the White-Winged Dove Tour. I like his albums though...although I heard he is a huge a-hole.

Who was the Bon Jovi wannabe? I forgot his name. Boz blows. Frampton failed to entertain. Hooters were horrible.

I think Welch would have been a great opener.