View Single Post
Old 12-10-2016, 03:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
It depends on your definition of 'write songs'. In Your Dreams mostly came from her poetry. It takes a lot to turn a poem into a song. For In Your Dreams she had to rely on Dave to create the music and turn the lyrics into songs.

Yes, she wrote 24 Karat Gold...30+ years ago.

I think she possibly could come up with the goods- its probably just daunting for her. Chris has already brought at least 6 songs to the table and Lindsey has a big bunch. It's like her starting a 100m race with her competitors already 20 metres ahead of her; 'I've sprained my ankle', 'I didn't sleep well last night', 'I have a stomach bug', 'It's a stupid race anyway- its not worth winning'...etc
well it's like on SYW.... she was content to hand over a bunch of old demos but then got a taste of what Lindsey was bringing and that got her competitive side going and she decided she didn't want just old stuff, she had to step up and crank out some songs.... and she managed to bring 4 new ones...not her best, perhaps, (ahem, Silver Girl) and she recycled lyrics on the same album (Illume and Destiny Rules) though I actually like Destiny Rules and Thrown Down is pretty damn good. It just seems to be so much more work for her these days..her musical vocabulary is sooooo rudimentary and she's run out of all the ways to combine her same 4 chords and make them new. Even, and I hate to say it, but her lyrics have gone downhill from her heyday. Not that she can't occasionally still bring it but honestly..... I just don't think she has that much to write about anymore. Like she said for her solo album reissues and 24k (same vintage) those were her "sex and drugs and rock and roll" songs and she adds that she couldn't ever write those kinds of songs again. what's she gonna write about? Having her yogurt treat before bed?? : O Kidding....she could actually write about losing her dad, her mom, getting older, whatever, but maybe she feels that doesn't lend itself to upbeat rocking songs. Who knows. I mean she is a writer whose bread and butter is songs about a)tumultuous relationships or b)witches, ghosts, spirits. She can still write about the first stuff just based on past events, or come up with some new stuff for the second topic. But she just doesn't seem that inspired to write a whole lot of songs like when she was 30, but then... she's 68. She likes the stuff that is successful and doesn't like stuff that won't be "successful". To her the tradeoff in suffering (such as it is) in the studio isn't worth the payoff..... she's happy being an oldies act.