Thread: 2013 Ep
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2014, 07:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Just listened to Extended Play again for the first time in ages.
I think its a lot better than it's been given credit for. All the songs have grown on me except Sad Angel- the live version kicks butt so much the recorded version has started to sound a bit weak by comparison. Never thought much of It Takes Time- but you know what- it's really rather sweet. In general I think the overall sound is a bit 'tinny'- perhaps because it was rushed out and didn't really seem to have the full commitment he would have given to the production if it were a full album.
i tend to agree with a lot of what you say here, at least partially. similarly, live versions of many of the LB's most recent solo songs kick butt so much that album versions are meek by comparison (That's the Way Love Goes comes to mind especially; although In Our Own Time live versions are amazing, album version is also produced lush and beautifully so each contribute something). so i can see where you are coming from with Sad Angel - i think both versions were good, but live ones are much better; i tend to listen to live ones more.

to my ears Sad Angel and Miss Fantasy are fully produced, which actually makes sense because LB said he planned to release those 2 before 2013 tour. however SN wanted an EP, and i think LB quickly embraced that idea since he liked having more contribution from her than just backing vocals on his songs. so i would agree that WY and especially ITT do not sound fully produced.

i also think (pure speculation based on his more recent output as well as some of his statements) that LB doesn't care nearly as much anymore about perfecting the production as he used to, and tends to leave the reigns to either other producers or doesn't mind putting out partially raw stuff.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"