View Single Post
Old 04-12-2018, 06:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Catdancer View Post
So here's my take on this whole mess. And you might not be interested because I haven't been here in years but here goes. I think it's a combination of things. This didn't just come out of the blue and like someone said:"They didn't wake up one day and said:"Oh, let's make Lindsey's life hell".

First there's the matter of jealousy. I think Miss Nicks couldn't stand it that they made a record without her despite the fact that she said in the press that she wished them all the best. If she did, than why wasn't it called a Fleetwood Mac album? Because that's what it was, it had 4 members on it. But for whatever reason, it wasn't called Fleetwood Mac. So they called it Buckingham McVie. That's a slap in her face, it refers back to Buckingham Nicks.
Lindsey & Christine worked together which was pretty successful. Go back to the old days when Lindsey & Stevie first joined the band and Lindsey wrote World Turning with Christine. She was extremely jealous. I remember reading back then that she said:"He can write a song with her but not with me". That got her pissed off (although they did write Frozen Love together but I don't know the circumstances of that process). Not only that, Buckingham McVie had a pretty successful tour, they got good reviews.

Second there's the abuse. There is no doubt whatsoever in my mind that Lindsey physically abused her. I'm a victim of domestic violence myself and I know the signs, I know the looks. It's scary. And very stressful to work with someone who has abused you in the past. An example of the fear: I hadn't talked to/seen my ex in 15 years and all of a sudden there's a message from him on Facebook. It's been 15 years, I'm in the USA, he's in Europe. I have nothing to fear, he's a million miles away. That's not how it works. I was scared to death. I had to rationalize my thoughts.
I've seen footage of a concert in 1979 where Lindsey grabs Stevie during Angel and she was scared. You could see it in her eyes. She was scared to death. I wish I knew of a way to post it here. However, having said that, she also said, years later, that when she saw him with his kids she made a huge mistake letting him go...

Third there is the power. He has softened through the years, has grown, is not abusive anymore but still pushes her buttons but finally she can say:"It's him or me". She has nothing left to lose by saying that. Her solo career is very successful. Even if Fleetwood Mac would have said:"Well Stevie, we rather have him", there's no loss. She'd just go on her merry solo way and be just as successful as he has ever been. Add Mike Campbell to her band and make another 24kg.

There's one thing that she forgets though: if it weren't for Lindsey she would never have been a part of Fleetwood Mac. She'd been a waitress, a cleaning lady until she inherited all this money from her parents and would live in a big house by herself (with probably her brother and Lori) and her doggies. But because she became a part of Fleetwood Mac and not only that, she became the face of Fleetwood Mac, she became arrogant. I've loved this woman since '77 so this is very hard for me to say but what I've seen over the years is that she changed from a rock 'n roll hippie into a rock 'n roll diva. Back in the 70's, 80's early 90's, she was sweet, compassionate, humble, patient, a very warm personality. I've met her a few times during those era's and I had nothing but praise for her. That's why I can say this.
Another thing she forgets is Lindsey's magic on her songs. There's nobody on this earth who can and will understand her songs as well as he does. Even Christine said about Dreams:"It's just 3 bloody chords" to which Lindsey replied:"Yeah, but they're the right chords". He worked his magic and boom, they had a number one hit.

All 'n all, I just think she was fed up with him. "How dare he ask for a delay when he just toured with Christine and wrote all those beautiful songs with her". What's not important in her mind is that she delayed and delayed and delayed. And Mick went with the money as he usually does.

As far as the true fans are concerned... I guess we're just an after thought.
this is so perfectly said, Debbie. thank you!

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"