View Single Post
Old 05-21-2016, 04:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer999 View Post
Totally! And if ever they do the "deluxe treatment" of any of her albums (yeah, right ) like they've done with Rumours, Tusk and now Mirage, then Rock A Little would be the album I'd look forward to the most, as the demos, outtakes and alternate versions seem to be the most interesting and extensive!
Oh that would be great. A re-release of RAL with demos and extras would be extraordinary. My theory on the shorter, worse version (IMHO) of Rock A Little is the following. I believe this extended version was the original and produced by Jimmy Iovine. When he left and songs were thrown out and others quickly brought in with other producers some of the songs suffered. I see space an issue on the album. The previous 2 solo albums had 10 songs. Vinyl was still a dominant selling factor. RAL has 11 songs. So space on the album was a problem and RAL was re-recorded and shortened. Thus the later in the album the worse shape Stevie was in. Her vocals on the album version on RAL are raspy whispers. Some of the lyrics are twisted or confused compared to this extended (IMHO original) version.
I just cant for the life of me understand anyone thinking the album version is better than the extended version. Its also the case for Some Become Strangers. I hate the song but the version that did not make the album is actually not too bad. Stevie's vocals AGAIN are so much better than the coke hole album version.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 05-21-2016 at 04:24 PM..