View Single Post
Old 03-16-2018, 12:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

These are the 2018 movies I've seen so far this year:

Great-ish
Loveless (Andrey Zvyagintsevd) - Overwhelmingly emotional; a devastating ending; the most moving child performance since... . Probably the best movie of the year so far; I went in knowing nothing about it and it constantly surprised and astounded.

Double Lover (Francois Ozon) - Super hot and dreamy direction; gets deep into intimacy but in a wiiilld thriller format; stars my movie girlfriend Marine Vacth.

Jeannette — The Childhood of Joan of Arc (Bruno Dumont) - A French rock-metal musical version of Joan of Arc, amazingly profound.

Waiting for the Barbarians
(Eugene Green) - More French esoterica, but really lovely call to turn back the barbarians within.

Near-Great-ish
15:17 to Paris (Clint Eastwood) - Clint is on a roll, mixing docurealism with patriotic emotion and suspense.

Mom & Dad (Brian Taylor) - The most jaw-dropping American movie of the year so far; Seriously, RENT IT ON ITUNES RIGHT NOW YOU WILL THANK ME EVEN AS YOU DON'T BELIEVE WHAT YOU ARE SEEING (it's fun!)

Death Wish (Eli Roth) - The movie-political coup of the year; really b*llsy and strikingly made.

Good-ish
The Commuter (Jaume Collet-Serra) - Lives up to its title: a thrill-ride with Liam Neeson.

Tombstone Rashomon (Alex Cox) - Not my favorite Cox film, but he's an OK Corral geek and it shows, and this mockumentary, like an inverse of Eastwood's film, deals with complex ideas about history and legend and American myth.

Okay-ish
Souvenir (Bavo Defurne) - Gay filmmaker tells straight love story about a fictional gay diva icon, which should have starred Isabelle Adjani instead of Huppert.

Hurricane Heist (Rob Cohen) - Fun, with a likable cast, but not as expert as Twister ("in the arms of a storm!") or as magnificent as the definitive Into the Storm.

Bad
The Party (Sally Potter) - A really twisted, nihilistic post-election party that should have been more fun than it turned out (especially from my beloved Potter of Orlando and Ginger & Rosa and Rage fame).

Pathetic
Please Stand By (Ben Lewin) - I used to think Dakota Fanning was a good actress. Wha' happen'?

Braven (Lin Oeding) - Stupid, but the ending kill-the-bad-guy move was pretty cool actually.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.

Last edited by TrueFaith77; 03-16-2018 at 02:20 PM..