View Single Post
Old 01-17-2023, 07:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

When I See You Again gets bashed and deserves some of that bashing. However, Stevie's other Tango demos were horrendous. I think Ooh My Love is so bad that I am surprised they officially released it on the Tango deluxe reissue. Her work on the album was so limited and there was such a time crunch. There is that RAL tour interview on youtube where Stevie talks about sending the Mac songs while she was on tour. She speaks of an acoustic Landslide sort of song that she just sent to the Mac that she wanted to do with Lindsey. I am guessing this is the song. I suppose the band and Lindsey got her Fed Ex tape and tried to develop it as best he could. However, have you noticed how bad her demos were in the 80s? If you listen to her demos in the 70s, they are coherent with a fairly good melody and good singing. They were partially sculpted works of art that Lindsey took to the next level. For Tango, Lindsey got a lump of clay. Her 80s demos were a bunch of shrieking cokey vocals with a cheap casio type of random sound. Her craft took a back seat to the party.
Long story short, Whatsa matta baby was the diamond in the haystack. As much as it gets bashed, it was still probably the best option.
Lindsey and Chris all submitted new songs and Chris even mentioned in that recent 1987 interview that was posted that she wrote some of the songs when actually recording the album. I think Stevie was under pressure to look fresh and submit newer songs like her band mates. However, it would have been better to dig into her vault on older songs. I would have loved to have heard a Tango version of Running Through The Garden. Any of her older songs would have made a better album. Welcome To The Room Sara is such an odd song. Few if anyone understood what the hell she was talking about. People want a good melody, a good groove, something to sing along with. Something to relate to. I never saw Gone With The Wind. I had no idea who Scarlette was and did not understand her Frontline follies.
This is a dream, right?

Last edited by Macfan4life; 01-17-2023 at 07:39 AM..