View Single Post
Old 01-10-2019, 08:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbBen View Post
"Everybody Finds Out" would have been fantastic. Edgy and great.
I have to agree with this, it's got a fantastic bassline from John, some prominent drumming from Mick, and has, at least to my ears some kind of mixed 70s/80s veneer to it. It's a pity Stevie didn't write it, though.

I'm obviously in a minority here but I really like the SYW version of Smile at You. There's few Tango touches to it that might have struck a chord with a wider audience.

I'm also going to give a shout out to Say Goodbye , only partly because I enjoy murdering it on the guitar. It's Lindsey's most beautiful song on the album, notwithstanding that weird throat-clearing noise he makes somewhere near its start. Whilst it's maybe not an obvious choice for a single, more people need to have heard it. I can mentally imagine it on all sorts of soundtracks and adverts....

I'm with the majority of you over the single choices they did make. Say You Will is bland; Peacekeeper is a dirge. I've put together a 10 hour playlist of 150+ Mac songs from all eras, and neither of them make it onto it so that's a good indicator of my regard for them. The fact that the band couldn't be bothered to make proper videos for the songs, just live performances speaks volumes.

Still, taken in its entirety, I really like the album, warts and all.