View Single Post
Old 08-06-2017, 08:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoursAndHours View Post
I wouldn't say this is a binary situation. It didn't have to be a smash hit, or a total failure - there's a middle ground. It debuted in the top 10. That means for her age, she's still in the "relevant" category. Other artists from her cohort are lucky if the chart in the top 100, if at all.

But more importantly, if she treats it as a project, including the album, Lady and lyric videos, gallery showing, shawl contest, and tour - then the 24k Project was an enormous success, and an amazing 3-year achievement that she was able to pull off while including a Mac tour. It's especially impressive for someone who's been around as long as she has.

And I'd agree, free downloading of music, as a sales problem has been over for at least a decade. Stevie's right that people don't buy records as much, but it's not because they're stealing it - it's because they can listen to unlimited albums legally on Spotify or Google Play or Tidal for $10-20/month. Why would I buy 20 albums for like $200 when I can listen to all of them as much as I want for $10? Having said that, I buy albums to support the artist. I bought 24k,on CD and vinyl, for example.

I hope none of this inhibited her from making a new album (or playlist, if we'd like to modernize). I hope we get news on that soon.
The bottom line is it was the best album she has made since The Wild Heart and it was a true Stevie album.