Thread: Nicks McNuggets
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2009, 09:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Oct 30, 2009 | By: DYANA BAGBY

Michael Montlack loved Stevie Nicks as a gay icon long before she became an international hero to millions of gay men, including drag queens who love the scarves and the long skirts that are her signature style.

In his anthology, “My Diva,” Montlack writes about how he connected to Nicks as a gay boy seeking his true identity and how she is his “diva” — just one of 65 in the book of essays where other gay men describe their diva inspirations.

“She was like my fairy godmother,” said Montlack, professor of English at Berkeley College in New York City. “I could escape through her. She taught me how to veil myself.”

As a gay boy and a young man coming out, Montlack was not interested in musicals, for example, like other gay men. But through the lyrics, voice and style of rocker Stevie Nicks, he was able to find a connection that shaped him into the gay man he is today.

His interest in Nicks led him years ago to write a poem about her, which eventually led to an essay. Encouragement from a friend to get it published — which it was — made him realize there was a market for gay men to express their love for certain women who inspired them.

“My Diva,” which includes divas from Sappho to Princess Leia, is featured at this year’s third annual Atlanta Queer Literary Festival, slated for Nov. 4-7. A reading from the book including Montlack and other contributors is set for Nov. 5 at Outwrite Bookstore & Coffeehouse.

“When I came out, who knew she would become a gay icon,” Montlack said of Nicks.

“When I was young, I felt like I took a lot of heat because I didn’t like musicals … and I was always defending myself for liking Stevie Nicks. Now there’s the famous ‘Night of 1,000 Stevies,’” he added with a laugh.

http://www.sovo.com/2009/10-30/arts/events/10820.cfm