View Single Post
Old 10-09-2018, 02:32 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlanketMan View Post
The conspiracy theorist in me questions the timing of Stevie's nomination. She's been eligible for over a decade now, yet this is her first time getting nominated. And everyone has no doubt read that the nomination process is a bit "suspect," shall we say? In the back of my mind, I can't help but think that maybe Stevie somehow pushed for this as one more "thumb to the eye" of LB. Surely I'm not the only one who thought of this when her name was revealed this morning...?
I'm sorry but this doesn't make any sense to me at all. You're saying that after orchestrating Lindsey Buckingham's firing from Fleetwood Mac, Stevie Nicks then ran over to the R&RHOF and somehow successfully lobbied a nomination for herself with the sole motivation of showing up Buckingham.

Dunno if this comes off as attacking but... you do realize that she's a real-life human being right? She's got her fair list of flaws but I can't imagine an actual human going to such lengths while in their 70s for a very abstract way of "sticking it" to someone else. Maybe a cartoon villain in a children's show?

And on that subject how does her nomination have ANYTHING to do with "sticking a thumb to his eye"? Would the goal be "HAH, I've ousted you from this band and now I will enter the R&RHOF! For my.... solo work." Which Lindsey has nothing to do with. A better way to show him up would be to somehow have the current lineup of Fleetwood Mac be considered the best, which will never happen despite their successes. Is it because Lindsey feels he is deserving of that nomination? Has he ever expressed that?

I don't even know how he could expect that. I love bits from his solo work but you have to admit that he didn't exactly set the charts/radio/public consciousness on fire. Trouble is the only significant hit. Everything else has a VERY high barrier to entry. This is not to say it isn't all quality, but if his body of work hasn't been able to make a big impact on people (i.e. being recognized as some of the greatest guitar playing ever or becoming a symbol of the cultural period) than how can it be considered appropriate for the R&RHOF? Stevie, almost objectively, is an icon of rock. She has the label "Queen of Rock" attached to her, it honestly surprising she hasn't been chosen yet.

Sorry if this feels like I'm crapping over your theory, it just perplexed me on so many levels. An idea a little more grounded for the timing would be that Fleetwood Mac has been in the news more over the past couple years. Songs have been used in hit movies, several successful tours, drama making some headlines, etc. and THAT is why she was suddenly relevant for consideration.

"The face of a pretty girl x1,000,000" -Isn't It Midnight (The song that got me into Christine McVie)

"The sun is bright, but not too bright to see. When the darkness comes you've got to fly into the light." -Doing What I Can (The song that got me into Lindsey Buckingham)

"I can still hear you saying you would never break the chain" -The Chain (The song that got me into Fleetwood Mac)

Last edited by Netter75; 10-09-2018 at 02:35 PM..