View Single Post
Old 09-30-2003, 02:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, I'd say that Lindsey is quiet an ecclectic composer. He uses from himself AND others. (Murrow>Ram Jam-Black Betty, Big Love>Kate Bush-Running Up That Hill, Second Hand News>BeeGees-Jive Talking, Peacekeeper>Paul Simon-Kodachrome More?.....add your suggestions). Like he said in the classic album documentary on SHN: "So i borrowed some structures from that"...and then that proud, selfindulgent but also cute and naieve grin -love that!-.

So, face of glass, I don't think this will stop. Even his solo's are composed and edited. He likes to talk about his working-process in terms of painting(solo) or filmmaking(with FM), but his own songs, to me, always sound as free-form constructions. Like playing with Lego without the instructions: Just try something out, if it doesn't work, deconstruct partially and add something else on intuition. You always see that there are some automatics in the way you build, and sometimes you'll find things that resemble things that you saw before from others. Once you discovered that, it's nice to try to put those things in consciously.

STOP! Do I make any sense here?