View Single Post
Old 07-05-2015, 06:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
Ok, now this is exactly like one of my family discussions.

Could someone explain what and where exactly are these insurmountable sound problems?
For now it's only been named the compressions of the vocals, which didn't bother me at all personally.
And what is the difference between engineering problems and production problems? Isn't engineering part of the production?
Production is the artistic vision for each song and the album as a whole: the mood, the arrangement, what the musicians play, how fast, how she sings it, how many overdubs there are, backing vocals, whatever. A producer in music is like a director in films.

Engineering issues are the technicalities of actually recording the vision. It would be a lot like the camera person in movie making. You can have a beautiful story for your film, and the director can have great ideas on how to film it, when to use close ups, how elaborate the sets or costumes are, how to edit it, what shots to leave in or take out etc. But no matter how great a scene, if the camera man jiggles the camera, or doesn't get it in focus, etc. then your great film looks like crap and annoys people who can't see a clear picture.

Since the producer is the boss of the process, s/he should also ensure that the engineering of the album is up to snuff.

So on 24k, to me, and a lot of other folks, Stevie's voice is "out of focus" on many of the songs, among other things. Hope that helps.

Last edited by bombaysaffires; 07-05-2015 at 06:54 PM..