Thread: MacNuggets
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2017, 02:11 PM

Default interes

Alan Webber: Classic rock is just getting old

No, that does not mean I am giving up on the greatest music ever made. What is meant by the title of this column, other than a blatant attempt to get your attention, is that our rock icons are aging and disappearing at a rather alarming rate.

For some peculiar reason, I keep track in my blog a list of the rockers who have passed away. Coming off the heels of some of the giants in rock music who passed away in 2016, such as David Bowie, Glenn Frey and Prince, 2017 seems to have not gotten any better. Passing this year have been Butch Trucks and Gregg Allman of the Allman Brothers Band, as well as Paul O'Neil, the founder of the Trans-Siberian Orchestra, Glenn Campbell and, most recently, Tom Petty. Allman's passing was somewhat of a punch in the gut to me.

The fact is, these rockers are getting to an age that the ailments that are taking everyone else we know and love are finally catching up to them as well. Some are just getting plain old! This was really brought home to me when I read that Ian Hunter, founder of Mott the Hoople ("Cleveland Rocks"), recently put out a new album with a new band. It also mentioned Mr. Hunter is 78 years old. And he is still putting out new rock and roll? That means touring and late nights. I can't hardly stay out past 10 o'clock anymore and he's out touring!

That got me thinking of some other musicians still rockin' on. Consider the ages of some of these folks:

James Taylor and Robert Plant (Led Zeppelin) are both 69. Looks to me like Robert might be 169! Even Ozzy Osbourne is now 69 – how is he even still alive? All are still on tour.

Also, still on the road are Carlos Santana (who recently married his drummer), Bob Weir of Grateful Dead, Mick Fleetwood of Fleetwood Mac, Elton John and Joe Walsh of the Eagles. They are all 70 years of age. So is Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull. Evidently, he isn't too old to rock and rock nor too young to die.

David Gilmour of Pink Floyd, who I saw last year in concert, is 71, too, same age of Barry Gibb from the Bee Gees.

Bob Seger recently went back on tour at 72, same age as Eric Clapton, Neil Young and Carly Simon. I went to a Seger concert recently and believe he put more energy into the first song that night than I did the whole weekend.

Carole King of "Tapestry" fame is 74. Bob Dylan mumbled he is 76 … I think. Grace Slick of Jefferson Airplane will be 78 shortly – go to the website and see what the rock lifestyle did to her.

You talk about a group of folks run hard and put away wet! The Rolling Stones' Mick Jagger is 74; Keith Richards will be 74 in December; Ronnie Wood just turned 70; and drummer Charlie Watts is 76. They are still rocking and one of the top revenue acts in the world. Original bass player, Bill Wyman, who retired, is now 81. The man that took Bill's place, Daryl Jones, is a relative baby at 55. That brings up a great quote – "there are only two things on Earth that can survive a nuclear holocaust – cockroaches and Keith Richards."

Surviving Beatles Paul McCartney is 75 and Ringo Starr is 77. Are you like me and wondered if they ever put a microphone on Ringo's drumming? When John Lennon was asked if Ringo was one of rock's best drummers, he replied that Ringo wasn't even the best drummer in the Beatles.

John Mayall of the Blues Breakers fame (with Eric Clapton) will be 84 in November and still recording. How?

Are you getting the point? No wonder they seem to be leaving us at an alarming rate. They are getting to an age when people start developing illnesses that can bring about their demise. And these guys lived a life that made ours look like choirboys and nuns.

And if all that has not made you feel really old, consider this — The song "Free Bird" was released 44 years ago and "Stairway to Heaven" 46 years ago. And the next time you are singing "Hey Jude," remember that song is now 49 years old.

But, don't ever stop rocking on to the greatest music ever made. Those songs sound as good today as they did all those decades ago.

http://www.daily-journal.com/opinion...389151ba3.html