View Single Post
Old 04-16-2018, 05:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Don’t kid yourself, it mattered. I knew he was in trouble when I heard him say that and subsequently put on subpar (for him) shows, which were mentioned on here and in some reviews.
Do you really think Lindsey deliberately put on a "subpar" show? Just because some reviewers were unimpressed (which I believe is actually not uncommmon) doesn't mean Lindsey was attempting to sabotage the show. Also, he was not the only one criticized, nor even the one most harshly criticized by many. Finally, they weren't even universally bad.

I honestly was surprised to hear so many people here talking about how everyone was trashing their performance because the review I read was actually quite complimentary. In fact, it praises Lindsey highly... ironic to read it now when it praises them for staying together. Anyway, I'd like to see a review that calls his performance "subpar (for him)" because I don't remember any.

Quote:
I don’t disagree that whatever Lindsey said had any influence on anyone’s decision as to whether or not to go to those shows. That said, if I’m putting up big money for a big show and talent is doing something that could be remotely construed as talking down that show, I would certainly have an issue. Apparently Azoff had an issue. Apparently Fleetwood Mac had an issue.
Your "apparently [they] had an issue" is based entirely upon your premise that this comment led directly to his firing, but I think that premise is what's truly naive: the premise that a shrewd businessman would ignore the profit potential of one of the few intact legacy acts to exact a punishment for a throwaway comment.

I don't think anybody has ever accused Azoff of leaving money on the table for any reason.

The only way this theory works is if Lindsey was costing them so much money that it would be more profitable to tour with two other lesser known guys (in America, it's Neil Who?), despite the loss of revenue that would occur from no longer having the Rumours 5. Since he backed down from the request that arguably could have cost them money, this theory is problematic.

Last edited by sodascouts; 04-16-2018 at 05:37 AM..