View Single Post
Old 05-06-2010, 12:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Yes, true, however, those type of jams on "Rattlesnake Shake" (or in the sessions for Then Play On) didn't occur until AFTER Peter had met & jammed with Duane Allman (and the Grateful Dead----during those late 69/early 70 triple bill shows of Fleetwood Mac/Allman Bros Band/Grateful Dead)
Did FM play with the Allmans prior to the 2/11/70 show in NYC? I know FM played with the Dead in New Orleans late January. As far as I know, FM didn't have contact with The Allman Brothers until after the Boston Tea Party shows. There's also "Loving Kind" in Boston from Danny Kirwan. That would take a lot to learn on the fly after hearing the Allman Brothers for the first time.

Peter Green wrote "Albatross" with harmonized guitars at least six months before The Allman Brothers were a band. He knew what he was doing with Danny Kirwan.
The shame of it all is that he'll never get the credit because Green left as FM was on the verge of being one of those great bands.

As for the Santana argument, Carlos Santana owes Peter Green everything for "The Supernatural". While Carlos Santana laments of how he is so influenced by Jimi Hendrix, and John Coltrane, the truth is somewhere in the middle. It's Peter Green. Carlos owes his success to Peter Green. Everytime I hear Peter Green play his solo "Homework" from "Live in Chicago", I think of Carlos Santana. I should be thinking of Peter Green, but some Mexican kid who emigrated to San Francisco stole his style, and tone (yet not his feel, and dynamics, thank god). Later when he becomes famous, he drops the names of Jimi Hendrix (dead rock hero), or John Coltrane (dead jazz hero), as influences. During the eighties, and nineties, it's not cool to mention screwed up mental patients as influences. Yet Carlos stepped up to the plate to finally admit his credits for the Peter Green BBC documentary hoping it would only be viewed in Europe. A true grifter to the end.

Last edited by slipkid; 05-06-2010 at 12:51 AM..