View Single Post
Old 11-21-2005, 06:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldustsongbird
I think there are only a few songs that sound very polished. Calumny, Northern Star, and Friend spring to mind.
Definitely. I intended homemade more as repetitive and uninspired, done by a not very skilled producer. Acoustic friend, for example was much more poignant, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldustsongbird
In terms of lyrics, I think some of them border on being overly cheesy... But then again, I have to say, most of her songs do. I don't think she'd object to that statement either, as she's said she's a "pretty basic songwriter". And she is. She's never been very prolific, with the exception of songs like Songbird, and Show Me a Smile. I think, though her songs are very simple (a style that I believe comes from her background in jazz), it's her delivery that really makes them what they are. Some songs just have to be sung by the right person.
I love her songwriting and simple style, but with some great songs (I return to Friend that's one of my all time favourite of hers or Calumny, Sweet Revenge, Bad Journey, You Are) there were some fillers.

Romy

Non vogliate negar l'esperienza
di retro al sol, del mondo sanza gente
Considerate la vostra semenza
fatti non foste a viver come bruti
ma per seguir virtute e canoscenza ~ Dante Alighieri, Divina Commedia, Inferno Canto XXVI