Thread: Worst FM album?
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2013, 10:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Seriously...Rumours.

It killed the band. Everything from there on was compared to it. They STILL think people want to hear those songs in concert. I could go the rest of my life without hearing ANY song from it and I wouldn't miss it a bit.

It basically f***ed up the band forever.
So shouldn't we blame it on the people, and not the album? I read your words and I can't find any "bad songs", "bad production", etc. You just mention people, compared, want to hear, etc. And yes it makes sense, I see your point, but that doesn't make an album the "worst".

I mean, my point is that I've always thought the same about all the hypersuccesful and then hyperhated albums (and songs, movies, etc.). They became the "worst" because everybody start to talk about them and nothing more, they always play them (radios, discos, concerts, elevators, etc.). So at the end we get really sick about them. Think in Bee Gees, Thriller, Titanic movie. hey all had that effect. And in Rumours case, yes, it's 2013 and they still fill the concert with Rumours songs, forgetting so many great songs from the other albums. But again... the album itself.. can't be the worst just because of that. IMHO.

Mick mentioned in his album, about what Lindsey thought before starting Tusk recording sessions:
Lindsey Buckingham was especially perturbed; he felt that with the success of Rumours, "the work" was being ignored in favor of "the phenomenon." This was important because Lindsey was our chief architect and creator. He was totally dedicated to the art of it, and driven by pure intentions. He lived for his art the way Brian Wilson did, with few outside interests and a dislike of distractions. Lindsey wasn't even in it for the money anymore. He just wanted it to be good.