View Single Post
Old 01-31-2010, 01:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Let's be fair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Spencer View Post
Good question, Without You. I was unaware of it at the time, as I was living in the far East. But since learning of it and hearing it, I have mixed feelings, as although Stevie was undoubtably good, his style seemed to generate only a slew of would-be SRV copies wearing black troubador hats playing non-stop runs on tuned-down beat up strats through vintage Fender tweed amps.
I only hope it at least made young musicians aware of players like Alberts King and Collins who played with selective taste, (although I still wonder
Okay, you could probably apply the same criterion to me sitting in a glass house years ago playing my attempts at Elmore James!
SRV wrote "Lenny", it's his finest composition. It combines the guitar of Jimi Hendrix ("Little Wing") yet includes far more complex chord structures than your run of the mill average blues guitarist. If you even care Jeremy (and I think you do not ) SRV liked Peter Green very much. To emote the emotion he displayed, he knew what time it was. I was told that SRV met Peter Green in New York City late 1989. I've been an SRV fan since the 80's. It's when I discovered Peter Green, I knew he was the missing link between Hendrix and SRV. SRV's emotional feel is his gift. He didn't get it from outer space.

It's the reason John Mayer (an SRV fan who is a pure phony), recorded a song that mimics "I Need Your Love So Bad".

You misspelled "troubadour", the real JS doesn't misspell his words. Whoever gets this, I hope it sends a message.