View Single Post
Old 11-20-2009, 09:00 AM
Senior Ledgie

Default Piano on BBC sessions

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynBlue View Post
Hello again, Mr. Spencer,

This has always bugged me, because it seems that whenever there is piano heard on a BBC recording of the band during the Green era, it is automatically assumed it must have been Christine McVie playing.
There are maybe a couple of BBC sessions where Christine McVie is listed as having been part of the session - yet, I can hear no evidence of her presence on any of the available recordings - the few tracks featuring piano on the sessions is demonstrably you -
That would seem to settle the question except for the fact that there is always at least one track from each of the sessions which are not available, leaving open the (imho,slight) possibility that she may have played on that particular missing track -

So my question to you is, Do you have any memory of Christine ever having joined the band (prior to Green's leaving) for any BBC sessions?

Also, do you have any recollection of you, alone, having played with Alexis Korner, backing Duster Bennett on his instrumental, "Hot Roddin'" for a BBC session? The session in question was from March of 1969. (one of those Christine is said to have played on) There is no piano on this track, you would have been on guitar, along with Korner, but the poor quality of the bootleg makes distinguishing the guitar work rather difficult, and it just struck me as surprising that you, who have often stated that you were not always keen on "sitting in" would have done so on this occasion.

There is also another recording where both you and Green back Alexis Korner, singing Leadbelly's "Good Morning Blues"; you are on piano and Green is on guitar. I have not been able to find a listing anywhere for this particular track.
The obvious answer would be that it was recorded during the same session as the Bennett track above, only that was done for Symonds on Sunday, and the DJ who speaks to Green and Korner on this "mystery" track is Brian Matthews.

Any idea at all? I do realize that this was forty years ago and probably just an impromptu session done for the radio.

thanks as always
Hello BB,
Sorry for the late reply, I was starting to forget the title of this thread!
I have no recollection of Christine showing up for any of those early BBC recordings, but she was of course present for a couple of them before I left when she had joined the band.
As far as the Alexis Korner session, I have no recollection of that either. I did play slide on a Duster Bennet track which I believe was for that show, which we recorded quickly while he was waiting for Pete to show up.
Sorry I can't be more of a help.