View Single Post
Old 09-13-2018, 12:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
Steve, I agree with many of your points. The old band has had many dud TV performances, as have Stevie solo and BM. And it’s very possible (and likely) that this band will be much stronger/better live.

That doesn’t mean they didn’t suck and that they missed an opportunity to really come out swinging.

However, I think The Chain is sacred. Clearly more than the band does. I didn’t know Lindsey sang it on solo tours but I think that’s a shame. I didn’t like it when the post-Tango band sang it either.

The song is the heart and anchor of Rumours and the closest FM has to a full band song. No one standing out. And it’s highly personal.

I don’t like when it’s covered by anyone, from Melissa Etheridge in Queen Latifah show to Harry Styles.

Same with this new FM. The song means nothing to Finn/Campbell. And it showed with the awkwardness/no chemistry.

Moreover, I absolutely think it showed zero respect for the many diehard fans who have stood by this band and who are highly disappointed (understatement) by what has happened. To introduce themselves, they chose the one song that defines Rumours 5 the most. It was a crass, thoughtless move.

If they wanted to open with a song that shows the new band as a whole and that everyone knows, they should’ve chosen Don’t Stop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
I think people seem to be under the impression these people have some sort of degree of sentimentality. Perhaps they once did... a long time ago.
Somebody questioned in a thread (bwboy???) whether critics of the current incarnation actually like the band. That has to be a good question. I'd say its possible to be a fan of the music but its increasingly becoming difficult to be a fan of the people. I once idolized all of them. Over the years I've come to realize they are all deeply flawed in character.

Well said, both of you.

I would possibly disagree however, that the choice of The Chain was thoughtless.

I think it was done with full awareness.

I think it was meant as a F. U. to a certain someone. Whether from the band to him or just from Stevie (and Mick?) I dunno. And before the troll sh*tshow starts, no, I can't PROVE it. I just feel it, and given the above mentioned deeply flawed characters involved, it seems very plausible to me. If you don't agree, well, it's a free country.