View Single Post
Old 01-21-2009, 06:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Moose View Post
So many elaborate, knowledgeable comments and great thoughts! Threads within the thread. If these threads get much longer and more intense I will have to give up work!

Unfortunately I just can't work out how to multi-quote , so just to hang on to ONE of the many great themes here, I will comment on:

Peter Green used to be a butchers apprentice - remember???

This "quality-thing" is very difficult and usually we use words like: "tone" or "feel"....But what the hell is it???? Some of it might be:

1) dansven:"Their guitar styles are as different as their voices": I think PG once said that he considers the guitar the instrument that takes over where the voice "have to give up" (some great singers sees it the other way around, but have the same unique "talent"/gift: Frank Sinatra said that he (Sinatra) was inspired by the trombone in his phrasing, Billie Holliday wanted to be able to sing like Satchmo played his trumpet).
This is [I]one aspect[I]that - to me - distinguish PG's playing from other players: his playing - like the voice - seems to be part of his being (warts and all) and this human quality ressonates instantly with other human beings in a way that is very unique: he is able to communicate feeling directly(One or two of the great classical violinists are blessed with this abillity too). Mick Fleetwood had a comment in the same line as this about PG's singing voice in the MOTW DVD.

2) Contained intensity (as opposed to blasts of energy) and unerring sense of rhytm/timing/pace.

3) He seems to be able to "stay or be with" each note, which makes him very "present" in his playing in a way that is rather unmatched. It's "a hesitation before taking the leap". It is like he starts all over again every time he plays (this sounds crazy I know). A lot of players are way ahead of themselves - they are "dab" or clever, but they are not "present" in the music.
This aspect is could maybe help distinguish him from others/imitators. They can (to a limited extent) imitate the "tone" or "feel" - but not the timing/pace. Maybe this is why some of us don't care too much whether he is "playing lead" or doodling - whatever he does he is "present".

Trying to balance in life, blessed or cursed (whichever way you look at it) with these "gifts" - no wonder this human being needs a long break in between the battles. PG himself commented once that "playing guitar - (or did he say "bending strings"?) - broke his heart, and he wouldn't let it happen to him again". Tapping in to the principal for years carves the way to burn-out.

This (1-3) is why I agree with JonsonP's 80% on Seven Stars, even though the cover on my CD copy has it otherwise. Snowy is not even mentioned on that particular number. I might be wrong too of course.

Hope this wasn't too "long-haired" (danish slang for space-cadet ramblings) and sorry about the broken english.

Ms Moose
Hi MsMoose!
Your post is something that's been ignored, and it is far more interesting that this "Green vs. Kirwan" discussion!
I am amazed by what you're writing, it really makes sense.
Especially point 2 and 3 are what I find in Peter's playing. Not many players have the qualities you're listing. Miles Davies certainly did!!!! Others??
There are not many of them....

I would like to add another number:
4) Taste!
Few guitar players can come up with such sweet licks and melodies within one song, as Peter. I don't know if that made any sense.. perhaps too "long-haired!"

(Hilsen fra Norge )