View Single Post
Old 02-25-2021, 08:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by On Ice View Post
Despite the classic music, being a Fleetwood Mac fan is not an easy experience. Hands down the kicker for me is the creativity between Rumours and Tusk, and the band seeming not to want to rest on its laurels only to do just that, over and over and over again. Forty plus years with the concert sets almost entirely from Rumours and Tusk gets barely a nod. Secondly, the years and years without new albums, we all know why that didn't happen but still, an awfully long dry period. Thirdly, abandoning the Behind the Mask lineup after one album. What about some reflection about what didn't work, ie the production, and kick out a killer album. What with Stevie in fantastic voice and Christine with some great songs, we could've seen a wonderful album in the early 90's. Most recently and last but not least, the endless tours. I consider myself a devoted fan, but have not seen them since 04 and Stevie solo since 1991. Touring without new music just doesn't do it for me, especially with deteriorating talents and excessive augmentation. Buck McVie as a Mac album with 3 or 4 Nicks tunes could've sent them out on a high note but instead we got what is likely the final cash grab tour with band members who should not have been there, despite being great on their own.
I also think the music industry changed so much which really almost prevented new creativity and new music. You must REALLY love your craft to spend so much time in the studio to create new songs that will sell 50,000 copies if you are lucky. Christine and Lindsey were perfect examples of that. They did it because they love making music. Stevie did it too with In Your Dreams.
But look how the music industry has changed. In the 80s, a hit album was how the artist made money. Stevie probably made over a million dollars easy with The Wild Heart album sales. Her tour probably yielded a profit as just as much. Today, Stevie grossed over a million for one night on her 24k Gold tour. Concert ticket prices have went up so much more than inflation that it keeps old bands on the road that would have never dared to be on the road at their age before. In 1983, my Wild Heart ticket cost $12.75 which was almost as much as what the album cost.
They are old, their output is limited so they go for the cash every time.