Thread: Molly Meldrum
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2016, 06:35 AM
Senior Ledgie

Molly has apparently written an editorial to say he is on the improve and hopes to be back in Australia by the end of the month, which is good news.

In the 1986 interview, I think he realized that Stevie was in fragile condition so he might have gone easier on her. She was reluctant to do the interview to begin with but glad it's out there and I got to see it - I was very young and before then didn't know that much about her.

I am giggling at some above comments. Yes, Molly is now publicly gay. But he did have a few girlfriends back in those days. I think he had a big crush on Olivia Newton John and it sounds like he once started flirting with Stevie. Didn't get very far though!

I have a few thoughts but don't want to go too off topic in a Stevie forum. Molly is a VERY flawed interviewer. No matter how many famous people he has interviewed, he still seems awestruck by them occasionally. He is an unabashed, unapologetic pop fanatic. Youtube is full of his bloopers over the years. In the 1970s, I think a lot of the evening TV was still live - anything and everything could happen and it did. He must have given the studio executives huge headaches. But sometimes the element of risk made things more interesting and what you see is what you get with him.

I personally like his quirks and sometimes the bumbling moments were the most memorable! I do however think he is a very intelligent man.

Sometimes he is outspoken and has a strong opinion about something (he once punched Johnny Rotten, with a bemused Sid standing by). I usually think his points are valid. But he would never, ever do a hatchet job on an artist.

A cute little Countdown promo of Stevie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwhMiKPqMwk

Last edited by Missy; 02-07-2016 at 06:40 AM..