View Single Post
Old 01-25-2018, 01:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
I totally agree that her piano playing now is not as good as it was in the past. Unlike your opinion, when I saw her play piano on SOTM from the 20/20 special recorded in a hotel room on the Tusk Tour, I was so moved by that. That moment in time inspired me to learn how to play piano. I gave up piano playing years ago so if I were to sit down and try to play something now, I wouldn't be able to. All through the 1970's, 80's and 90's I loved listening to the demos of her piano playing. Or watching her play piano on the youtube video from 1989 with her and the girls singing Doing The Best That I Can.
But yet just a couple of years ago Rolling Stone magazine released a video of Stevie playing Blue Water on the piano and I was so disappointed in her cluncky way of playing that, that right there and then I told myself I never wanted to see that video again! I know she must have played Blue Water beautifully on piano in the past but this version was such a let down. I felt the exact same way when they showed her playing Gypsy on the piano.
Yes.

I felt the way you are describing when I saw her trying to play Sisters in the 20/20 interview. Really nothing like the demo and she seemed (to me) kind of like she was fumbling to remember.

In her defense a bit, she HAS talked about taking lessons, so she's definitely thought about it, but then she always says that people around her, including Lindsey she points out, have told her that if she starts learning the rules of how to play it would start to limit how she writes because she frequently doesn't follow the "rules" in her natural playing. And this could impact her ability to write so she didn't take lessons and mess with her muse. I'd like to see her play something on the guitar, just once. She's said she wrote Landslide on the guitar, so let's hear it. It can't be any worse than her piano playing on that Gypsy clip on Rolling Stone. I bet she doesn't play guitar at all anymore...

ETA: Did you learn to play any Stevie songs on piano?? Was it hard to do?