View Single Post
Old 04-19-2020, 06:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Its not really baffling. Substance abuse really hurt Stevie during this era. Had she been around and not went to rehab or showed up drunk and high maybe the band would have had more to work on In Stevie's own words she says she "mailed" them "When I see you again" from the road during the RAL tour. Ooh My Love's track was stolen accidently from Petty. Stevie just did not have the time to spend with the band nor was she in the state to spend time with the band.
On BTM, Stevie was in a zombie like state.

Yes the possibilities could have been better. Imagine Tango having "Running through the Garden" and "Smile at you"
Mick stated that Stevie only contributed 4 songs. I don't think Ooh My Love was considered because Stevie pulled it based on the stolen Petty track. She contributed "What has rock n roll ever done for you" but the band passed. Not baffling at all. In fact its a miracle what Lindsey pulled off. Its really kind of spooky. I know he would never write a book but gosh could you imagine the stories he could tell.
Yes, she and Mick both were in a pretty bad state during the making of TANGO (and hence a big part of why Buckingham didn't want to tour), but when I say "baffling" I mean baffling that the rest of the band didn't insist on better songs. As mentioned before, even going back to ones previously demo'd for MIRAGE.

As you say though maybe her state just didn't allow for them to do so, and maybe they considered it lucky to get the three that they did. It's such a disappointment though. Her songwriting was top notch through the first four Mac albums. I thought McVie slipped a bit on TUSK, Buckingham slipped on MIRAGE, and then Nicks on TANGO. Post-RUMOURS there was always one of them that wasn't up to par during a particular album.