View Single Post
Old 01-04-2015, 06:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
I don't understand the assumption that Stevie recorded a new version of Twisted as a signal that she didn't like Lindsey's arrangement.

Lindsey and Stevie recorded it as a duet, featured on a sound track album. Soundtrack albums usually have a short shelf-life fall into obscurity. Even between that version, the demo version on her Enchanted box set, the song still remains rather obscure. I think Stevie's intentions were entirely benevolent; she wanted give the song more exposure by featuring it on her album as a solo number, and not as a slight/message to Lindsey. It was a similar situation when she re-recorded Crystal as a solo song. I can't imagine Lindsey seeing it as some sort of protest against him. That seems silly and juvenile.
Easier to believe Stevie is stuck in a playground mentality apparently... There's the slightest hint of 'I like the demo better' in this comment below she made on iHeart Radio but I do think the primary reason for re-recording was to finally have a version on a proper album of hers so it would gain more exposure and be heard more. She was very stuck on the idea that people had missed the song (and particularly the MEANING) when she wrote about it for Enchanted.

"‘Twisted’ was written in 1995 for a movie called ‘Twister’ and I was actually approached to write it for this movie. So I kinda, uh, I went and saw the movie without any music in it and really, uh, you know, got the gist of what these crazy people do when they follow these tornadoes around in cars and, um, are almost killed, and why they do it is to protect us and to be able, you know, warn the, uh, American public or wherever that there’s a tornado coming. And, um, so, it was pretty, you know, pretty violent and scary and so I went and I wrote this song called ‘Twisted’ and, um, uh, I recorded it with Lindsey for the movie and, uh, we did a, uh, you know, we did a movie version of this song. And, um, years and years later - like a couple of months ago - I was listening to, uh, some demos and the ‘Twister’ demo that I had originally made in my house in Phoenix, um, came on and at first I didn’t recognize it because it’s very, very different than the version that went in the movie. And I just went like, I just love this song and I think song deserves another chance because I think any song that goes into a movie - unless it’s a huge, you know, unless it’s like a, you know, Terminator movie or something - is gonna be heard, seen for a second and never thought of again. So I thought this song deserves to be re—recorded and re-done and so I just decided that it should be on this record. So I took it with me to Nashville and, of course, they did it exactly like my demo which I loved because that’s the way I really always wanted it to be, anyway. And it’s, you know, it’s not just a song about tornadoes; it’s a song about when a man or a woman comes into your life and they are a tornado and they almost just wipe you out and, uh, so it’s, it is a love song. And it’s kind of a crazy love song and, um, I’m very proud of it because it is so much what I always wanted it to be and I hope everybody, you know, everybody has their ‘She Loves Him Still’ and everybody has their tornado. So, this is for all the tornadoes in peoples’ lives that are actually human."

"There’s nothing going on between you and me except that there will always be something going on between you and me. Until the day we die"