View Single Post
Old 11-29-2004, 03:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by madformac
I'd agree with that to an extent but she's not a youngster anymore. Her audiences have matured with her (yes I know she has younger fans but thats not my point here) and they I believe would prefer vocal perfection over energetic. You are not supposed to be energetic in your fifties (nobody told Lindsey!) She's a woman with a hip problem, add to that the menopause too and I'm amazed she's even been out on the road. To be honest I would rather take Stevie as she is now than her trying to recapture her youth, she's far more graceful than say, for instance, Cher. For Stevie to go full out energetic I don't think would work now, she's nearing retirement age!
I agree, but wanting little more energy and enthusiasm than she has now is not an unrealistic expectation.

I don't think she's "more graceful" than Cher because what Cher's currently doing has been her schtick for forty years and it really hasn't changed much, if at all. Stevie's still doing the same schtick, but it's just gotten more rote and tired because she insists on hanging onto her youthfulness while not being able to be as energetic, unlike performers like Cher. That's just my opinion, though. I think that Stevie could recapture a lot of her magic if she performed different songs, ditched the Lindsey drama and the canned speeches and movements. Inject some freshness into all of it, revitalize it. She doesn't have to swing from the rafters wearing a tube top and panties in order to do so. She doesn't have to run about the stage stripping off her clothes, either. If she can't handle singing the high energy songs, don't sing them. Bring out some old chestnuts like Storms and make the show more intimate. If you can't wear platforms, don't wear them. Don't wear ridiculous, laughable things such as those Reeboks in order to substitute for not being able to wear the real deal. Be practical and just wear regular shoes instead of turning it all into a ridiculous joke. Just don't wear the same outfit every night, sing the songs the same way every night, or spin around in platform Reeboks and still expect to be considered a great performer like you were back in the day. Just scale it all down. If others like that, fine, to each his own. I just think she needs to freshen everything up and if she does so, it would only mean positive things.

Last edited by dissention; 11-29-2004 at 03:13 PM..