Thread: NME article
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2009, 04:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default More ramblin'

slipkid: I also think he would've accepted John Mayall's invitation back into the Bluesbreakers in 1971.

Never really gave this possibility much thought. Are you referring to Mayall's Back To The Roots project? That was towards the end of 1970 IIRC. Past that, Harvey Mandel, Jerry McGee and Freddy Robinson were doing most of the guitar licks for the Bluesbreakers in the early 70's. Are you saying Green was given a specific offer by Mayall? Wonder if he would have had dubs over McGee in the short lived trio Mayall formed right after the Roots release (of Mayall-McGee-Taylor).

slipkid: The what-ifs are fun to speculate, that's what these forums are for.

Well I'll give you that. After all, cyber sounding boards are erected to give those with similar interests a platform to share their thoughts, to include conjecture and wishful thinking to their heart's content. Only around these parts, seems 'mum's the word' is ascendent more than anything else. 'cept for the Rhiannon board *arg*

slipkid: I think if Peter Green didn't feel stifled by FM, stayed away from drugs, was able to iron out personality clashes with Danny Kirwan (he would've been the first, since new, and established members hated him by August 1972), and eventually allowed Christine McVie into the band, FM would've been very very interesting.

The "stifled" part had as much to do with the other members wondering just where PG ultimately wanted to lead them off to, as they weren't exactly in agreement with his sky-high jam visions, and other like initiatives off the beaten track. Free form to the max would have spelled the death of Fleetwood Mac, don't kid yourself. Just as it did for psychedelia at large once that wave started to roll down the abstract-to-the-max path of excess. One listen to The End of the Game proves any trepidation on the part of the others was well founded. Outside of a few inspired -but fleeting - jam-o-rama moments (too much Hendrix and not enough Kirwan blending for my tastes), Green's newfangled thrust had little to offer or sustain the rest of the Mac membership, let alone their hard-earned fan base. Add to it the altruistic push Green was insisting on and you had a nicely framed recipe for disaster, whether viewed short or long term. In any case, I'm glad Peter got that out of his system, but I'd take Then Play On -- or Kiln House and beyond -- in its place any day.

Also not sure if Danny would have lost it like he did if Peter hadn't first. Chew on that speculation for a bit.

slipkid: Not taking away anything from the "pop" incarnation, but FM should've been, and remained a rock band.

Says the old guard, comprised of dedicated rockers, greasers and blues beatniks. I would agree though. Looking back retrospectively it's an easy choice, especially after all those MOR releases. But circa 1975, I thought the group's new west coast sound was kinda refreshing, even if I couldn't believe Welch hung up his Mac guns for good. Apparently a lot of others thought so also, to include a healthy percentage from the post PGFM ranks.

You know it's like Ian Anderson lamented all those years ago: Friggen greasers are too old to rock 'n' roll but too young to die! Ain't it the truth.

PS. I would have uschied with Uschi -- gladly.