Thread: NME article
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2009, 05:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well first off a good number of Greenies on the forum are based in Europe and have the handicap of interacting in a second, non-native language. It amazes me you fellas do as well as you do. In that regard you kick our Yankee butts. And believe me, that's a well deserved compliment.

Beyond that, it's so easy to slip (to paraphrase one Lowell George) when it comes to miscommunications, and this having little to do with second languages exclusively. Ever hear that great song Words by Jim Krueger when he was with the Dave Mason Band? Says so much in that regard.

D: Peter once said that Danny was the only other creative member of the group at that time. I was rather thinking about the other members.. who I think didn't have the will or ability to follow Peter.

I think Jeremy was mostly confused with where things were ultimately going, and where he stood in the band after Danny arrived, you know, the whole three guitar front thing. He also doubted his own star power once Peter had left the scene. It's understandable really, as they had long been flying confidently under a Green flag up until those seismic shifts toward the end. Jeremy was also looking for things that he clearly wasn't finding in the rock world to which he was attached. That too was long in coming. But that withstanding, to look beyond the FM personnel - the aces in hand of Kirwan and Spencer, of McVie and Fleetwood - is telling indeed. That's tough company to top as I see it. So I'm not sure just what it was Green was seeking - and I'm not sure if Pete himself knew what it was either. All I know is that EVERYONES' heads in the group were pretty much in a full spin by the end of the PGFM era. So I've never been surprised by the subsequent fallout.

As for everything else you stated above, I pretty much would nod in agreement. I think your assessments align in large part with my own. The shame in the end is that there was never a TPO II, and that Danny - like his sometimes mentor + sometimes competitor in Green - found his way out of the game prematurely. It is a tragedy of the first order for us who appreciated all that encompassed PGFM. The only mixed feelings I have beyond that remain bittersweet to this day, in that without the burnout of Peter we wouldn't have had the Spencer and Kirwan led affairs (which I thoroughly dig), and if it weren't sadly for their subsequent burnout we might not have had those great Welch led projects, with Christine blossoming and coming more to the fore (and those great licks by Bob Weston). And of course if we didn't have the eventual - but by this point somewhat predictable - burnout of Welch, we wouldn't have had a taste of Buckingham-Nicks, a west coast sound that was equally fresh and compelling in its own sunny way, especially early on (before the comedic-tragic and MOR elements took greater sway). {YMMV of course}

Last edited by snoot; 08-20-2009 at 05:39 PM.. Reason: Forgot to add the Westy contro