Thread: NME article
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2009, 02:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoot View Post
slipkid: From the live recordings that exist after "Munich", Peter Green was playing his very best.

Pete was hit n miss by this point mate. When he was on, he was on. However he was flying way too high way too often, and often scaring the **** out of the rest of the band. Eventually it came to a head.
I strongly disagree with the description of Peter after the "Munich" incident, Snoot. All the live bootlegs from his last days with Mac are fantastic, and shows an incredibly gifted and innovative musician. This is also heard on "The End Of The Game". If anything was hit and miss, I'd say the bootlegs of the Kiln House line-up. However great, they weren't always that tight. And they needed to work on their vocals as a trio (especially Chris, ahem...). But still, they were great! But you know my opinion, Snoot? And let's not get into all that now...

Anyway, what I think is interesting is the so called "Munich incident"... I don't really think it ever was one!!! Oh, I know what's been said and told by Peter, Mick, Jeremy, Dinky, and especially John McVie. Of course I believe they visited the Germans, and I've seen the girl ... and she was GORGEOUS!!! And yeah, they probably took drugs, but that's no sensation.
What I don't believe is that the Germans were after Peter, that they brainwashed him, that they spiked him with superstrong acid. And that this particular incident left Peter "changed" or "destroyed", and led to him deciding to leave the band and all the mental issues later.

I don't think him leaving had any direct connection with taking drugs or any illness.
Snoot says that Peter was "often scaring the **** out of the rest of the band". Yes, that may be quite true. His guitar style changed/expanded radically the last months. And so did his taste in musical genres.

Then it was the thing about money ... having too much, while Africa was starving. The feeling of being different from the average man and woman. Wishing to share the money, but not having the rest of the band with him. The need to start over again, without the false showbiz crap.

So, I believe the two main things that led to Peter leaving Fleetwood Mac was:
1. Feeling limited and wanting to move on musically!
2. Guilt!

The "Munich incident" is a myth, and people love myths. It's a way to explain what isn't understood. And it's a way for John McVie and many others to explain the sad truth that Peter left the band and became ill.

So folks, what are your opinions and feelings about "Munich"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoot View Post
dansven: Yes, I am not that familiar with the Allman brothers album, but imo Mac's Tea Party beats both the Who and Stones.

Well you better get to it, as you ain't getting any younger (just like the rest of us). If you haven't experienced ABB by this point, you're in for a treat. I'd suggest Decade Of Hits for a quick teaser if nothing else. Live At The Fillmore is another classic of course -- but then, aren't all those early ABB albums up to Brothers And Sisters? One of the truly GREAT live acts, then and now, and a lot of that has to do with Gregg at the helm. They remind me of the lesser know Three Man Army of the Gurvitz Bros in that they were a great live outfit, and as the TMA name suggests, it emanates from a distinct three point attack - in the case of ABB, Gregg, Duane and Dickey in equal parts.
I will, I will! I'll let you know soon!

Last edited by dansven; 08-20-2009 at 03:32 PM..