Thread: NME article
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2009, 01:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default More thoughts #1

slipkid: From the live recordings that exist after "Munich", Peter Green was playing his very best.

Pete was hit n miss by this point mate. When he was on, he was on. However he was flying way too high way too often, and often scaring the **** out of the rest of the band. Eventually it came to a head.

slipkid: Another reason to stick it out for another six months: Kiln House (with Peter Green).

I have my sincere doubts about this eventuality, more so if you're alluding to Kiln House by name (and thus implicit binding). Little chance there would have been any such thing with PG in the lineup, at least as I see it. That was a Spencer-Kirwan initiative all the way. I doubt that kind of retro revisitation would never have gone over well with guns a-blazin' Green. Beyond that, it was but a slice of a larger pie back then --50's retro was all the rage circa 1970. To cite but one example, it was around that time that R&R pioneers like Chuck Berry and Bo Diddley were resurfacing and once again making something of a splash. Sha Na Na (Who who who?) did their unheard-of thing at Woodstock just before Hendrix took the stage and further lit the nostalgia spark.

Kiln House was simply one of the better projects cut of that cloth at that time (and my personal favorite). Danny worked well with Jeremy on his solo effort that had only recently been brought under wraps, and the two seemed to just keep truckin' all the way to that country estate known as Kiln House - that is, once Pete quit the game.

dansven: Yes, I am not that familiar with the Allman brothers album, but imo Mac's Tea Party beats both the Who and Stones.

Well you better get to it, as you ain't getting any younger (just like the rest of us). If you haven't experienced ABB by this point, you're in for a treat. I'd suggest Decade Of Hits for a quick teaser if nothing else. Live At The Fillmore is another classic of course -- but then, aren't all those early ABB albums up to Brothers And Sisters? One of the truly GREAT live acts, then and now, and a lot of that has to do with Gregg at the helm. They remind me of the lesser know Three Man Army of the Gurvitz Bros in that they were a great live outfit, and as the TMA name suggests, it emanates from a distinct three point attack - in the case of ABB, Gregg, Duane and Dickey in equal parts.

Note to slipkid: Check out TMA's history if you haven't yet. They're associated, directly or indirectly, with everyone from Graeme Edge of the Moody Blues to Buddy Miles, Carmine Appice and Tony Newman. Ultimately Adrain and Paul would team up with - you guessed it - Ginger Baker. It was at that point that Three Man Army became the Baker Gurvitz Army.

dansven: I have a live bootleg with the Kiln House line-up (can't remember the date), and Danny actually did "Like It This Way" alone. And although he did a fine job, it's still quite sad. Because the absence of Peter is so evident on that song, where there should have been two duelling guitars.

Well put.

sharky: I've only heard it from that one date, so maybe they quickly figured out that it didn't work without both Danny and Peter. Considering how crucial their guitar interplay was to that song, I'm surprised Danny even attempted it without Peter.

I'd bet it could be covered under one word: transition. They were caught in a "out with the old, in with the new" flux. Only how do you break new ground all the while letting go of that precious green tether that had always been the chief driving force behind all that constituted the Mac? Lots of strange experiments were played out during this interim period; you're only looking at a tiny slice of it all in citing such things.

chiliD: Everything else pales in comparison to the Allman Bros Live At The Fillmore East. Long been touted as the best live album ever released, bar none.

Bar none? That's a pretty tall order if you ask me. Why don't we just settle on :: its a GREAT live performance, and apropos of one of the best live rock acts ever in ABB, the world's first and foremost Southern Guitar Army.

chiliD: Live At Leeds, as originally released with only 5 tracks, is pathetic...it wasn't until they reissued the expanded version on CD that it's true "worth" finally appears, too little, too late.

I always thought the original was a nice teaser but a tad short. And it's true - the expanded set is just so much nicer.

chiliD: Ten Years After's Recorded Live is definitely in the Top 5 of all-time live albums.

Nice call. "Yeehaw" to paraphrase the guy on the point (only he was Brit and not Texas tea as cited)