View Single Post
Old 06-11-2004, 11:59 AM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

>>>That was just staged. They were poking fun at the tabloid aspect of their reputation at that time, which was building in intensity. John & Christine took the ball & ran with it for a bit; they're both inclined to brittle, depreciating humor (we should spell it humour because it's so definably British). That was Laura's actual impression of it all.>>>

Yeah, I agree w/ everything above. Although you can certainly hear the hurt behind the humour IMO. I don't think John was drunk at all, actually, he was far too well spoken throughout the rest of the interview!

Years later in a 1987 joint interview w/ Stevie and John, Laura reminded them that she had done that interview back in 1976 right after all the splits, and John was so intrigued by that! He kept asking her, "How was it? Do you still have it? How was it?" I wonder if he ever heard it, it seemed like he really wanted a copy LOL.

He actually said something so similar in 1997 regarding the 'shut up' comment-- I think it was at the end of a VH1 Timeline special-- and the 5 of them were sitting there and Chris was saying how years ago 'there was animosity hanging around the two ex-couples' and John interjects in almost a whisper, "Oh, shut up, kid!" and she says, "YOU know what I mean!" while M, L and S all laugh. I think that's just the way John is, a bit rough around the edges sometimes but really a big softie.

-Lis