View Single Post
Old 09-13-2010, 03:22 AM
Registered

Oh, this magazine article has come up countless times. I personally feel it is best to leave it alone, it is one time she was, in my opinion, exploited by the press. These type of confessionals, under the influence (likely Klonopin, perhaps mixed with wine or too heavy a dosage)-- these types of heartbreaking stories are not best revealed to a journalist, but to a close confidante- a best friend, a parent, a doctor, a spiritual advisor.
It's my belief that the magazine took something too private from a woman who for whatever reason revealed too much she needed to talk about, but not with or to the general public. Yet, maybe she also did need for the public to know, though I doubt it. I think she was very much unguarded and open, and may have regretted it later.
It's not anyone's place to judge her on choices she has had to deal with in her life, we perhaps can all agree it's very sad. But it'd be nicer even if we could say 'let's not discuss this very private matter.'
To me, the Vox editors and writer of the article just did their job and printed the details, when the conscionable thing would have been to realize that Nicks was either overly medicated, or in a state of trauma. They noted she had cried several times during the interview. In my opinion, the right thing to do would have been to have sent her a pre-publication version of what got printed, and asked through attorneys, 'do you really want to go through with revealing all of this?' and I think she would not have.
Or; I could be wrong, and on some level, she just had to reveal the information. I believe all of this began with Henley's drunken GQ interview* a cpl years prior, when he mentioned one situation of this sort he had with Stevie.
*Louie- Don's never written his autobiography, it was a long magazine interview.
Apparantly; Don and Stevie have mended fences long ago, but I think Don soon realized he said too much about Stevie. He learned, maybe: don't do interviews loaded. The information is just too personal. Don was drunk; and as for Stevie's revelations, I think it was a medication malfunction that she revealed it in the first place. I think it's why we still sometimes get very short answers from her to questions posed- It was really the last time, I believe, that Stevie made such unguarded public comments.
We've often had one or two-word replies from her on the Nicks Fix for questions about things that deserved to be answered in more detail, about her music. I think she learned a lesson about not revealing too much ever again with that Vox article.
Anyone can think what they feel they have to think about the subject. But I don't think it's a good topic of discussion, who wins? Nobody. It'd be nice for it to be left alone, for once. The interview was what it was and revealed what it revealed.
Fortunately, Vox didn't have a huge presence here in America, though word of the revealed details did get around. I wasn't aware she'd also discussed the subject in the Mary Turner radio interview. Hmm.

Last edited by Nikolaj; 09-13-2010 at 07:24 AM..