View Single Post
Old 03-13-2014, 01:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[From a stuff.co.nz article on 10 Great Bands. I'm certain this will not sell you? Um, well, if it sounds like Law and Order it might not sell me, but if it sounds like Go Insane it would.]

Taranaki Daily News by Simon Sweetman 3/13/2014
http://www.stuff.co.nz/taranaki-dail...igger-audience

10. The War on Drugs: I arrived at this band via Kurt Vile. I'm sure many did. I particularly loved 2011's Slave Ambient. It took me a while to get my head around it. And I like that. As I finish writing this post up for today I'm listening again to the band's new one, Lost In The Dream. I'll have a review for you next week. It's both a continuation of the group's sound - hints of that languid, loping, liquid guitar sound, as on Slave Ambient, as Vile is still pursing in his own way too - and a strange, wonderful re-imagination of aspects of the 1980s. I'm certain this will not sell it for you, but several of the songs on the new album feel like they could be album tracks from Lindsey Buckingham's early solo records or the Fleetwood Mac of the 1980s. More than one song has the feel of Don Henley's Boys of Summer. I shouldn't like that. But I do. I really do. Have a listen to An Ocean In Between The Waves. Amazing. I'm hooked! It's taken me back to a band I already loved but at the same time it feels like something altogether different, a totally new sound with just hints and traces of the band's early ideas and Vile's too.