View Single Post
Old 02-02-2018, 07:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnL View Post
Honestly the guy did a poor job of even trying to impersonate her. I think the look was pretty spot on but he was so whiny and complained about everything. He didn't do her justice. I loved it when he said Stevie wasnt a gay icon...and Ru Paul immediately corrected him. He deserved to go home.
You may call it whiny but I think it was the most difficult of all the divas. I think its fair and objective to point out Stevie is a different kind of diva than the rest of them. Stevie does not group dance like Janet Jackson or carry a cordless microphone dancing across the stage. So I think some handicapping of the impersonation is in order. I believe any other of the queens doing Stevie would have suffered the same fate.
Stevie may have been a gay icon but not like Diana Ross and the others. In the late 90's when A Night of a 1000 Stevie's came out, Stevie did not embrace the idea. Around the second or third event Stevie said it was "really scary."
So I get what the queen meant and tried to portray. In addition Stevie does her show not prancing the stage but in front of a wired microphone.