View Single Post
Old 06-05-2018, 04:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
He's the one that produces lol. Of course he's gonna 'control' a lot having to do with the music. That's usually what producers do. Especially a producer who also writes. But I agree Lindsey has been/probably still can be very pushy about what he wants in the studio. Tusk for example was mostly all his brainchild and his insistence that they do it that way but frankly, thank god for that because I'm absolutely convinced that the legacy of the band would not have been what it was had they made Rumours 2.0 like the rest of them all wanted. But then after Tusk flopped, it's well known he ended up doing what they wanted for Mirage. Even 'recently' (although it's not really that recent) with SYW, he REALLY wanted a double album and was all dramatic and annoying about it. But then, it actually didn't happen! He caved and dropped it. So yes, they've given Lindsey the reins a lot in the studio but it's largely been to their benefit in the grand scheme of things and Lindsey has also given up things that he was doing solo in order to do a band project when they wanted (Tango, SYW, etc).
But anyways that's not what I was talking about when I said catering. I meant very literally that, probably ever since after The Dance, they've recorded only when Stevie was willing to record, they've toured only when Stevie wants to tour, when Stevie wanted a delay she got it, when Stevie didn't want to make an album they had to put it out as a duet, etc. They would give Lindsey the reins when they're actually in the studio, but they're basically letting Stevie control IF they even get into a studio and when they go on tour. That's what I think isn't right. Don't call it 'Fleetwood Mac' if ONE member can determine when they go on tour and whether or not they record an album.
Actually ... no. A good producer doesn't control every single detail. They delegate to engineers and others. They don't kick the other band members into another room for hours at a time. Lindsey, good or bad, has been a control guy who controls every detail far more than most any producer does. I'm not saying that the band hasn't catered, at times, to Stevie but they absolutely have catered to Lindsey's very "unique" and exhausting producing style.