View Single Post
Old 05-22-2018, 11:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy View Post
He obviously likes trying new and different things, taking a risk occasionally. That's what can keep an artist creative.

I think the interview in first clip here is interesting too and has a few insights. A few years ago, Neil did some shows with Australian music artist Paul Kelly - another great songwriter. The idea of them performing together was like a dream come true. During the shows they were taking turns on and occasionally finding some interesting new angles in each other's work.

Neil and Paul both have their strengths as songwriters. I don't think Paul is well known overseas, and vocally he's probably along the same lines as Tom Petty and Bob Dylan - distinctive albeit limited range. But he's a very good storyteller, and can also write songs about the some of the most mundane, ordinary, everyday subjects - with vivid and evocative lyrics.

The second video is a medley they did on TV. The first tune is Kelly's, with Neil doing harmony. The second tune is one of my favourites from Neil - 'Four Seasons In One Day'.
Thanks for posting those videos. Neil is such a magnificent songwriter and has so much wisdom and knowledge when it comes to his craft. I'm not sure whether Stevie and Christine have yet figured out just how great a songwriter they have in Neil. Once folks get into Neil's music, they quicly see that the list of great Neil Finn songs is seemingly endless.

And I agree with you about Paul Kelly. Just like Neil, Paul Kelly is an incredible songwriter. The two songs of his that have stuck with me the most are "You Can Put Your Shoes Under My Bed" (see below for Neil's incredible version of it) and "They Thought I Was Asleep" (see below as well) which breaks my heart every single time I hear it. Neil and Paul are songwriting royalty.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7UAShoNSGKA" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cvLKrs_Lsg8" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>