View Single Post
Old 09-07-2018, 05:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless child View Post
I was just thinking after watching the Ellen performance. Why did they feel the need to get two people to replace Lindsey? When Christine retired they didn't fill her spot. The focus was then on Lindsey and Stevie songs. They did Don't stop and just sang her parts.

Why didn't they do the same thing with Lindsey's firing? They could have just hired Mike Campbell and not Neil Finn. Do all Chris and Stevie songs except for Go Your Own Way and have the girls sing it.

Mike is a great guitarist, but his sound is so different from Lindsey's. Neil is a fine singer, but not much stage presence with the Mac and frankly, you don't really need a male singer. Chris and Stevie have the bulk of the hits.

They could have also added a male backup singer to flesh things out.

After watching the Ellen performance, it just doesn't work. The Billy/Rick years were ok, but that was then. Just my 2 cents.
You stole my thesis

I agree with you in part. When Lindsey replaced Bob Welch, Lindsey did not try to sound like Bob. He put his own style and licks on those songs. I think its a mistake to try and duplicate Lindsey. I could be in the minority but it would be refreshing to hear a different guitar version on these songs. I know it would be so daring because the casual fans would criticize it. But I think highlighting the new guitarists is exciting rather than trying to duplicate and sound like Lindsey. If this is REALLY a new band then show it.
In 1990 Lindsey opened up and spoke to the press about Rick and Billy replacing him. Even though he worked on BTM, Lindsey stated it was a big mistake to replace him in trying to duplicate him. The band should have moved on in a new and different direction. I get it. When Lindsey and Stevie joined, the band went in a new direction with new sound. I think the same thing should happen. Would be interesting. Mike should have blown the audience away with his guitar playing, something hard and heavy that would have raised some eyebrows and made people say WOW.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 09-07-2018 at 05:06 PM..