View Single Post
Old 01-24-2014, 09:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulpian View Post
I think agoraphobia was maybe on the cards. There was a story in the early 2000s saying she no longer answered the phone unless she knew someone was scheduled to call, and that later in around 2010 she wouldn't let the water company guys through her gates as she didn't want to see anyone. I think it went too far and someone staged an intervention maybe.

May I say, and we haven't covered this, that her second marriage really seems to have set this behaviour off. Ken touched on it in a radio interview after Sept last year. The breakup with Quintela really seems to have been bad. I don't know what happened exactly, and it isn't my business, but it think it sapped her of a lot of confidence, and that - combined with exhaustion and boredom - probably made her quit and retreat in 1998.
Definitely. Ken did mention that the breakup was bad and she seems to have gone reeling from that into self-imposed exile, becoming a recluse with two dogs.

That she made ITM shows she never stopped loving music, but just needed to write and play it on her own terms for a while. Her brother's liner notes to ITM do suggest a personal struggle that was difficult to overcome.