View Single Post
Old 11-04-2009, 01:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
And while I don't generally swim in the Pool of Intentions like other fans, would Lindsey have wanted to put the same songs on SYW that he did with Stevie in the band -- based on the assumption of so many fans that Lindsey "communicates" with Stevie within the framework of songs on an album? There's just no predicting what SYW would have been, up to & including the very title (a Stevie Nicks title, by the way).
But frankly, I think Lindsey "communicates" with Stevie a lot less on SYW than he does on UTS or (to a lesser extent) GOS. When you take away Rover, Murrow, Peacekeeper, WTWCT, even the remaining love songs don't particularly seem to be about Stevie and something like SYHA is more suited to Christine's backing vocals anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
One thing may not have changed all that much, & I don't mean to contradict my post above. Chris McVie represents the same sort of reactionary quality in music that Stevie Nicks does, whereas Lindsey Buckingham, at least from time to time, wants to confound expectations, or to sidestep them. And so you get this tug-of-war of preferences with regard to set lists, arrangements & orchestration, & perhaps even things we rarely think about such as lighting & set length. In the band's current configuration, Lindsey pulls one way & Stevie pulls the other. Christine would undoubtedly continue to want the music & the show to be more traditional rather than less, & Lindsey & she might wind up at cross purposes over any number of elements.
And yet, I think it was much easier for Lindsey to get a 16 minute NTF into the set with Christine there than it would be today with just him and Stevie. In fact, that's the very thing I keep telling Lindsey in my head and if you see me wondering the streets talking to myself, this is most likely what I am saying: Lindsey, you had more leverage with 5 than you do with 4. Don't you realize this?

Michele

Last edited by michelej1; 11-04-2009 at 03:44 PM..