View Single Post
Old 03-20-2006, 08:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neb-Maat-Re
I think I expected something more from the delivery - perhaps a little more flambouyant or even a bit Stanley Unwin-ish. Instead she seems to be almost embarassed herself and just rambles it off.
True, but I think it works better that it's obviously unrehearsed and off-the-cuff, I suppose she wasn't a performer of any sort. There's certainly nothing pretentious about it - possibly the only pretentious thing was putting it on the record... She was, I guess, born around 1900 and she was just an old English country lady who wrote poetry in her spare time. Someone maybe told Mick down the pub that there's this quaint old lady up the road who writes odd poems, and suddenly old Mrs Scarrot has this very tall, slightly unhinged gentleman knocking on her door wanting to tape her poems and put one on a record and sell it.

I'm guessing she had her friend around at the time (the guy you hear talking at the end) and they taped a poem or two and that was it. She almost certainly never understood that a million people would go out and buy it If she did she might have re-recited it more carefully.

Last edited by bretonbanquet; 03-20-2006 at 08:50 AM..