View Single Post
Old 01-30-2005, 05:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
I hear more immediate aspects of Fleetwood Mac's style in all the stuff on "Tusk" than I do on something like "Everybody Finds Out" or "Running Through the Garden" -- but that's because of deliberate approach to fashioning the tracks.
It's true that "Running Through The Garden," "Murrow," "Everybody Finds Out" and "Come," don't instantly bring to mind the Fleetwood Mac Style... but, to my ears, I think they're every bit as much "Fleetwood Mac" as songs like "The Ledge," "I Know I'm Not Wrong," and "Big Love" (to name a few).

It's that branching off thing that they've done since 1979... tracks that could easily fit into one of their respective solo albums, but, by their inclusion on a Mac album, help to expand the horizon of the band's collective sound.

I'm not implying you feel this way, but perhaps that's what many fans have bristled about... the fact that, without Christine to "soften" things, the album doesn't always have the instant and comfortable familiarity that Fleetwood Mac's previous albums always possessed. Which apparently made it a little easier for the band to get away with throwing an offbeat track or two into the running order.

Quote:
How many months did Stevie spend in the studio with the others? I get the feeling it wasn't all that long. What would she have done in there all that time? Spent the week catching spirits?
She's going to have a harder time living down that spirit catcher than she's had living down some of those 80s outfits!

Without any concrete data, any comments I could make about Stevie's studio time for 'Say You Will,' would be pure conjecture.
Based on interviews though, it seems that once she finally joined them she was there as much as possible up until she left for Hawaii and her and Lindsey had long-distance arguments about the track listing.

I didn't mean to imply that I thought she was there every waking hour though. No one in Fleetwood Mac, with the sole exception of Lindsey, EVER seems to log in that many hours!

Quote:
"Worthy"?
It's been implied... and sometimes downright stated... that 'Say You Will' is somehow undeserving of being called a Fleetwood Mac album, and that, without Christine, it "doesn't really count."
Some fans seem to feel it unworthy of the Mac name... which I think is a bit of a myopic view.