View Single Post
Old 01-30-2005, 01:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
First thing... 'Tusk,' 'Mirage' and 'Tango' all, at various moments throughout, sound like three solo albums put together.
'Tusk' most of all.
To me, "Tusk" really sounds all of a piece in terms of instrumentation (the jazzy minimalism is evident throughout -- e.g., in the twiddling & meandering that bind keyboard & guitar parts on everything from "Sisters of the Moon" to "Over & Over" to "Never Forget") & ambience (virtually the same levels of reverb are set on about half the tracks, while the other half seem to have practically dry signals). "Tusk" just sounds totally like the same band to me all the way through -- not only that, but the same single year. I hear more immediate aspects of Fleetwood Mac's style in all the stuff on "Tusk" than I do on something like "Everybody Finds Out" or "Running Through the Garden" -- but that's because of deliberate approach to fashioning the tracks.
Quote:
Secondly, Lindsey's 'Gift Of Screws' material WAS recorded with Mick and John, with some contributions from Christine. Now, while it was INTENDED for a solo album, the members of Fleetwood Mac WERE present. And, in many ways, that makes his 'Say You Will' songs even more "Fleetwood Mac" than many of his 'Tusk' and 'Tango' tracks.
Excellent point. "Miranda" has more of Fleetwood Mac on it than "The Ledge" does.
Quote:
And while they worked on the instrumentation for many of the songs while Stevie was on the road, once she joined them in the studio, they all worked together closely for many, many months.
How many months did Stevie spend in the studio with the others? I get the feeling it wasn't all that long. What would she have done in there all that time? Spent the week catching spirits?
Quote:
All of which, in many ways, makes her tracks more "Fleetwood Mac" than her 'Mirage' and 'Tango' contributions.
I agree. Her songs on "Say You Will" are Fleetwood Mac tracks through & through. That's what makes something like "Illume" so exciting. We get to hear Fleetwood Mac pump!
Quote:
Sure, Lindsey (and maybe even Stevie) probably hoped that a new Fleetwood Mac album would assure more exposure than a solo release could, but I still don't agree with the notion that it was all a "marketing ploy" slapped together in haste.
I think, in Lindsey's case, it was, combined with a desire he had to work with these guys again. He loves them. C'mon, people. Wouldn't YOU want to record music with Mick Fleetwood & John McVie?! I mean, show some sense. There is no other rhythm section in the world that is as sensitive to the needs of a production-minded guitarist & songwriter.
Quote:
And I have to wonder if people would feel that way if Christine had been there too (let's not forget, after all, that her songs were slapped onto 'Time' at the "last minute").
I don't think Christine's inclusion would have affected the overall impact of the album. The elements that make the whole thing sound disjointed (too much time involved in laying down tracks, too much porting over, too much technology, too many outside cooks throwing salt & pepper into the brew) are things that Christine's presence wouldn't have diminished or altered anyway.
Quote:
It's a shame that Christine didn't take part in the recording of the album as a full-member. And, yes, it had a haphazard origin. But that it doesn't make it any less worthy of an album, IMO.
"Worthy"?

moviekinks.blogspot.com