View Single Post
Old 08-17-2018, 08:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers are one of the greatest American rock bands to emerge in the last 50 years no question. No other U.S. band that I can think of during their time had that level of consistency .In fact most were done after a few years . about the Germany comment . I'm precisely half German and half Irish but usually just mention that Irish part.
Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers were an incredible band with literally dozens of incredible songs especially if you also include TP's solo albums. I find that a ton of folks only know the "hits" and don't know how many phenomenal "deep cut" songs there are. I still remember doing my first Tom Petty deep dive and being astounded by how many great songs I kept finding. "Walls" is just one example I can think of of a world class song by a world class songwriter. What a masterful song. And, of course, there's the Wildflowers album which stands as one of the greatest albums of all-time; a true masterpiece. And, of course, there is their live version of "Oh Well" which has got to be the best version of the song ever recorded ... TP and The Heartbreakers were a world-class band led by a world-class songwriter.